When a child or family is coping with mental health problems, particularly during an acute crisis, one of the biggest challenges can be finding appropriate support services. For parents, the key to handling mental disorders of children is to recognize the disorder and seek appropriate treatment.
Most disorders have specific diagnostic criteria and treatments, and a complete evaluation by a mental health provider can determine whether a child needs help, and what treatment is appropriate. When untreated, mental health disorders can lead to school failure, family conflicts, drug abuse, violence, and in the extreme, suicide.
Don’t know where to start:
- Call your family/child’s physician. They are equipped to address the growing need of behavioral health services
- Ask your health insurance company for a list of covered providers.
- School Nurse
- School Guidance Counselor
- School Adjustment Counselor
- Despite the increase in publicity surrounding mental health and mental health issues, there is still a lack of understanding about mental health in general. One in every five Americans experiences mental illness at least once in a lifetime or experiences numerous or persistent episodes. The majority of psychiatric disorders can be effectively treated.
Newburyport High School is committed to ensuring that students have a safe, nurturing school environment and receive the supports and services necessary to remain safe and, maintain their health status. Health Services is helpful in providing assistance, and guidance to appropriate resources and services.